Michigan Bar Exam Info
Michigan Bar Exam Information
Schedule a Free Michigan Bar Exam Coaching Session
Michigan Bar Exam Format
The Michigan Bar Exam is administered over two days.
The written portion of the exam is administered on the first day of the Michigan bar exam. The written portion of the bar exam consists of the Michigan essay questions. You will have 2, 3-hour sessions to answer the 15 essay questions.
The Multistate Bar Exam (“MBE”) is administered on the second day of the Michigan bar exam. The MBE is a multiple-choice test containing 200 questions. The MBE is split into a morning and afternoon session. Each session consists of 100 questions. You have three hours to complete each session.
Course Video on Michigan Bar Exam Format
- Michigan Bar Review Course – AmeriBar has been helping students pass the Michigan bar exam for over 15 years.
- MichiganBarExam.com – Detailed Information and resources for Michigan bar exam takers by Great Lakes Bar Review.
- MBEQuestionBank.com – Online question bank with over 2500 simulated MBE questions.
• February 23-24, 2021
• July 27-28, 2021
• February 25-26, 2022
Michigan Bar Admissions
200 Washington Square, Lower Level
P.O. Box 30104
Lansing, MI 48909
Michigan MPRE Score Requirement
Michigan requires bar exam applicants to pass the Multistate Professional Responsibility Exam (“MPRE”). You must score 85 or higher on the MPRE in order to pass in Michigan.
Scoring/Grading and Results
In order to pass the Michigan bar exam, you must score at least 135. The Michigan bar exam score calculation provides that the MBE portion is worth 200 possible points, and each essay is worth 10 points for a total of 150 possible points. A combined score of at least 135 must be earned to pass the bar exam. The following formula is used to calculate that score: Combined score = [4/3 (raw essay total) + MBE score] / 2 .
Michigan bar exam results are usually released in mid-November for the July bar exam and mid-May for the February bar exam.
Michigan permits admission on motion without examination when an attorney licensed to practice law in the United States satisfies educational and character and fitness eligibility requirements, and the following additional requirements are satisfied:
- Attorney is a member in good standing of the Bar where admitted to practice.
- Attorney intends to practice in Michigan, or to be a full-time instructor at a reputable and qualified Michigan law school.
- Attorney has been, for three of the five preceding years, actively practicing law as a principal business or occupation; or been employed as a full-time instructor at a reputable and qualified law school; or been on active duty in the United States armed forces as a judge advocate, legal specialist, or legal officer.
Regent Law School
Jennifer was unsuccessful twice with Barbri before enrolling in an AmeriBar course.
“I felt so prepared and so well-versed in every area of the law for the exam. I never felt that way with Barbri the first couple of times I took it. I can’t say enough about how well-prepared I felt and how relieved I was after failing twice to come back and just nail it after six years of absence from the law.”
Michigan Bar Exam Subjects
Michigan Essay Subjects
Thomas Cooley Law School
Heidi was unsuccessful twice with Barbri before enrolling in AmeriBar bar exam tutoring.
Heidi describes how AmeriBar was instrumental in raising her score from 121 to 144.
Michigan Bar Exam Statewide Pass Rates